Help! Why do I keep failing the ARE 5.0?

Are you finding yourself wondering "Am I ever going to get my license to practice architecture?" Don't worry, you are not alone. It's so easy to get down on yourself when the outcome of the exam you have been studying for, the very thing you NEED, doesn't turn out as hoped. Believe me, I know-because I failed every single exam.

When I was finally successful in finishing up the last three divisions of the ARE in 12 weeks (after 12 years of "studying"), I looked back on my licensing journey and realized it did not have to be so painful. It was not the exam that was getting in my way, it was me, and the way I was setting myself up for failure. If I had known what I know now, I could have finished up sooner, saved a ton of money, and started the career I had planned for earlier. Here is what I found to be detrimental in my exam preparation so you can hopefully avoid a difficult journey:

Help! Why do I keep failing the ARE 5.0?
  1. Memorizing content

    Do not buy all the books on the recommended study list and try to memorize content. I bought them all. They fill up my library now, but they didn't help me pass the exams. The exams test your ability to problem solve, not your memorization skills.

  2. Not utilizing local resources

    Working full time and having kids made me believe I didn't have time to study. What I didn't realize was how much face-to-face support the local Center for Architecture was providing at a minimal cost and on the weekends! When I really got serious about finishing up, I reignited my passion by spending two full days with architects who had recently passed the exam and discussing the content areas they felt were worthwhile to spend time on.

  3. Rescheduling

    I started taking the exams after my first child was born. My approach to staying focused was to schedule the exam 2-3 months out with the idea that I would have plenty of time to study and be COMPLETELY READY by the big date. I lost a lot of time and money on rescheduling. Set a goal and stick to it. Schedule your exam, review the content, and go for it.

  4. Keeping to yourself

    Failing can feel lonely. Hang with people who have similar goals as you, whether it's an online forum or your local Center for Architecture. So many talented and intelligent people are in the very same boat as you. Share your experiences, you will be so surprised how sharing stories can build confidence and camaraderie.

  5. Inconsistency

    When you commit to getting your license, remain consistent. It took me twelve years from start to end; that the process took such a long time was not only unnecessary but also discouraging. Stay focused, push through all the exams in a given timeframe-be that timeframe 12, 18, or 24 months. Stay realistic and then stick to your plan.

    It's really important to remember, it's ok if you fail. You must keep going and not let the results get into your head. For my last three exams, my rolling clock was ticking louder than a biological clock and I was nervous and ready to give up. I was always thinking in 60-day increments, terrified that the rolling clock would get the best of me. When I was down to my last three exams, and no time for failing left, I did not look at the results until all three were ready. YOU made it through a grueling 5-year architecture program with no sleep, minimal nutrition, and numerous project reviews where the jury ripped you up and spit you out, leaving you wondering how you would go on. You're tough and you're smart. You've got this. You must trust your instincts and approach this exam differently than those in the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pick Wisely Your Project Management Methodologies

Managing Conflict in a Project Team

Ways to Improve Efficiency - Time and Motion Study